Monday, July 29, 2013

Spicy News! ( Not really)

Hello Everybody,

big news! Tomorrow I am going back to Berlin and look for a new place to live. I am really excited because there are lovely rooms out there. Wish me luck!

Anyway here is one of my favourite recipes: Canned spiced cherries!

So I picked many many cherries from our garden and washed them.


wash with water

Fill them in a clean glass
(my dad helped me)


Now add some spices like cinnamon or cloves. I broke one cinnamon stick in pieces and added some to the glasses. Also I took one clove per glass.



I think I used two sticks for 12 glasses

After that you need to mix one liter water with 400g sugar and bring it to boil.
You can add a dash of lime juice and a bit red wine if you want to. You pour the sugar water into the glass until they are full to the very top. Don't be too greedy. Now you just put the lit on it.
It would be nice if that's it but you still need to preserve it so they don't go bad after a while.

I used my Mom's big canning pot but you can also do it with a pan in the oven. Make sure they don't touch each other or the wall of the pot/pan. I also put a grid under them so they don't touch directly the ground.
You need to fill the pot/pan with water so that the classes are covered until three quarters with it.
If you have a pot with which you are canning already you probably know how it works. If you don't you might want to look it up somewhere. I just realised I really miss the words to explain it in proper english.
Anyway you boil it for 30 minutes with 80°C.

My mom's pot

Here are the glasses in the pot












Here they are: canned cherries with spices




Spicy cherries are really tasty with ice cream :) Probably this was a super confusing post but just go ahead and ask me stuff. I can try to explain it again to you.

Love, Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment